قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / The Agricultural Industry Ought to Keep Native Bees In Business

The Agricultural Industry Ought to Keep Native Bees In Business



Honey bees, according to the common narrative, bear almost all the weight in supporting the ecosystems of the Earth, because without them the plant life would remain pollinated and collapse, leading to disasters, conflicts and hunger. This story, however, leaves out almost 20,000 other species of bees, each of which pollinates and stimulates plant growth in its local ecosystem. Native bees, a broad term referring to the vast range of indigenous bee species from a certain region, are the unrecognized heroes of the natural world and must be valued and protected for their central role of pollination of vegetation in agricultural settings and locals.

The European honey bee, also called Western Bee, is what usually comes to mind when people think of bees. One of the first domestic insects, European bees are highly prized for their honey production and pollination capabilities. These bees are the superstars of the agricultural scene because of their ideal body size (which allows them to pollinate a large variety of flowers), their ability to maintain large populations of colonies and their use of the [1

9659003] loyalty flower a practice in which an bee pollinates a particular species of flowers specifically until this source of pollen is exhausted. Therefore, in addition to producing honey for human consumption, honey bees are transported over large distances and pollinated one third of all crops. It is not surprising then that European bees have become the most common species of honey bees, with the United States having colonized 2.89 million bee colonies divided into two categories [19659006] native bees can be generalists or specialists. The general bees make up 80% of the bee population and can feed on a variety of plants, including weeds. On the other hand, specialists, representing 20% ​​of the total bee population, may require one, two or three specific plant species to survive. Native bees are available in different shapes and sizes and have different abilities that allow them to pollinate the native flora more effectively than honey bees. Therefore, a healthy ecosystem is one with many species of bees, both generalists and specialists, as this will ensure the survival and prosperity of the largest variety of plants.

The necessary collaboration of wild bees and domestic bees is often overlooked, but it is always present in agriculture, where native bees and honey bees will often work together or compete to pollinate a given crop. Every year, domesticated bees and indigenous wild bees tag to pollute American crops and their work is valued at over $ 24 billion $ 15 billion of which are attributed to the bees and $ 9 billion of which they are attributed to native bees. Beekeepers profit from the billions of dollars of honey bee pollination and, in turn, make sure to take care and defend the welfare of their bees. While farmers benefit from abundant harvests and society benefits from more affordable and superior products, no one earns directly from native bees. Unlike their domestic counterparts, native bees lack indispensable supporters because there are simply no direct financial incentives for people to defend their cause.

In reports reporting the importance of bees and the health of bee populations, attention rarely turns away from the European bee and native bees are almost always excluded. The concern for honey bees has merit, but this single species receives an excessive attention when a significant portion of native bee species is at risk of extinction. Financial incentives make it clear that native bees should receive much more attention from government agencies and non-profit organizations. In order for there to be a healthy environment and a successful agricultural production, the native bees must be considered a priority and give the attention they deserve


Source link