Residents of the Sydney Opal Tower will be able to return home this weekend, but the building committee of their building warns them not to.
The stoush between the tower builder and his layers committee has emerged as residents await the outcome of a report from the New South Wales government that has not yet been released.
The builder, Icon, gave "the overwhelming majority of residents" the clear return, if they wish, starting Friday evening. [1
Two reports, commissioned by Icon, have declared the building secure. But a report by the NSW government and one commissioned by the corporation itself remained secret or incomplete Friday
On 4 January, the minister of planning, Anthony Roberts, told the media that according to him "re-occupying the building should wait for the 39; independence initial report of the investigation, "and he hoped it would be released this week. Friday, that report had not yet been released.
A spokesman for Roberts said the minister will receive an "interim report" on Friday afternoon and make it public "in days".
The NSW government report is being prepared by two engineering professors, and the corporate report is being conducted by the engineering company Cardno.
The two already completed reports have been prepared by the engineering companies WSP and Rincovitch Partners.
Friday, an email from The Layers Committee, obtained from the Guardian Australia, told residents to wait for all four reports to be completed.
"The Layer Committee has asked the builder not to put pressure on residents to come back," he said. "Your safety is our highest priority, so we encourage residents to NOT accept to re-occupy the building until [four reports] will be satisfied.
" Residents should be wrong about the side of caution. It is important to ensure that residents do not take unnecessary risks. "
But a spokesperson for Icon defended the decision to bring residents back in.
" We had two engineering firms stating that the building is safe for reoccupation, "he said
" We know that there are a number of residents who are desperate to get home and want to facilitate them as quickly as possible. It is entirely up to the residents if they want to move or not. Our opinion and the engineers' point of view is that the building is safe to occupy. "
Roberts previously stated that any decision to go back was ultimately one for the builder and the residents.
A spokesman for Cardno said the company could not comment on his report.
But Icon he said that residents could reoccupy the building, even without the government
"At the moment we have the confirmation of the designer, WSP and the third-party engineer, Rincovitch Partners, that the building is safe to occupy after completion of stabilization work, which should be completed Friday night, "the
" While we welcome the department [report] the confirmation regarding the suitability of the structure lives with the engineers engaged to undertake that work. "
Opal Tower in the Sydney Olympic Park developed a dramatic crack on Christmas Eve, and was then evacuated a second time on December 27, to allow the realization of repair work.
While many residents will be admitted this weekend, 50 of the 390 building apartments will remain unsuitable for habitation for up to six weeks.